Spending time with your children plays a very significant role for the child’s growth and development. The children observe you and how you react. This means when you do sit down with your child, they will notice whether you are actually paying attention or not.
Quality time with your child is not just sitting next to them, it requires a lot more input. You must engage them in the activities your child is doing because it shows them that you are interested in what they are saying. It shows them that you value what they have to offer.
It’s about sitting with them, listening to what they have to say, playing with them and doing activities that your child is fond of. It teaches them a lot of different things, some of them being:
- It enhances socialization among children, they will understand that it is good to mingle with other children and play with them
- It teaches them the concept of sharing and communicating what they are doing
- It will foster a loving and caring environment – this kind of positivity and encouragement
- It increases a child’s self-esteem, self-worth and confidence
- It fosters a lot of emotional growth and optimism in the child because they feel very secure and satisfied
There may be times where you want to spend time with your child, but you don’t know what exactly to do, or you may be tired. There are different ways in which you can spend time with them, some of which are:
- Asking your child to help you out in the kitchen
- Helping them do their homework
- Playing different kinds of games with them
- Watching a movie, or spending time watching your child’s favourite cartoon with them
- Reading a story to them
You can turn mundane tasks into opportunities to spend time with your child. Make your child’s interests yours, you will get to know a completely different side to them.